Thursday, December 09, 2004

The best news in a very long time...

This morning, I learned that a dear friend, Patrick, received approval to be a Permanent US Resident. (Frankly, if he hadn't been approved, that might have killed what hope I have left for this country!)

The stress has certainly been greatest on Patrick, Greg and their families, but we, his friends, have been on tenterhooks for years, as well. I remember when I was a government official, years ago, asking Patrick if there was someone, anyone, to whom I could address a letter, setting forth my belief that the United States would do very well to claim Patrick as one of our own.

Patrick told me, more than once, that there was nothing I really could do. It was in his hands, and the hands of his lawyer(s), and we'd just have to hope for the best.

At this point, I'm just glad (make that, thrilled!) that it worked out right. After all of these years of his being a real, vital part of this country, it's about time we were able to welcome Patrick permanently.

We love you, Patrick, and we're so very happy you'll be here with us in the years to come! Congratulations, sweetie!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

God I just love happy endings. *sniff* be a dear and pass me a tissue.
k
p.s. personally I think this country has a lot of karma coming down the pike and moments like this are just the ticket to redemption.

Jess said...

K.B.--if anything should help, this should. Patrick is one of the nicest and smartest people you could hope to meet. This country is lucky to have him here! (He's also good for the economy--well, at least the liquor industry part of it. *wink*)

PatCH said...

Aw guys, you are too sweet! Thanks so much for the wishes! Now how do I sign up for welfare?

Jess said...

PatCH--no chance. You need to keep working, so you can pay for my Social Security benefits when I retire! ;)

Unknown said...

Awesome news. This country needs all the beauty it can get, and PatCH certainly contributes heartily to the gorgeousness factor.

Bruce said...

Patrick's comment - funniest unexpected moment of the day!