Sunday, July 15, 2007

What a name!

Were you aware that the British have a dessert called spotted dick? Sounds like a reason to rush to the doctor, but it seems that it's actually a kind of pudding (and, I suppose, remains a reason to rush to the doctor if it shows up in the way that first comes to my mind).

I don't know why I'm surprised. When we visited London last February, our hotel, the Rubens at the Palace, included a "genuine English breakfast" in the price of the room, and that breakfast caused us enough gastric distress to nearly require medical attention. So why should an appalling dessert name come as any surprise?

Still, spotted dick? Now there's a name that can use changing!

3 comments:

Big Al said...

I'm sure I've seen Spotted Dick on the menu at quite a few places over the years, but for some reason I've never been inclined to try it.

Same goes for Toad in the Hole, now that I think of it.

dantallion said...

LOL - it's the "serve your Spotted Dick hot with custard" at the end of the recipe that just tops it off beautifully.

Greg said...

Sounds more like a game at the nude beach than a dessert.