Monday, November 20, 2006

Okay, that one's my fault

I thought I was hearing more of the early Christmas music today. I had a meeting at our uptown offices. I took the 8th Avenue subway to get back to my office. As I was heading for the subway exit, I thought I heard a Christmas song being barked. Yes, barked.

You've probably heard something like this--where they train dogs to bark out a song? Well, that's what it sounded like, but I couldn't quite make out the tune. Perhaps the "Ode to Joy" from Beethoven's 9th Symphony, but I wasn't sure.

As I headed up the stairs to the turnstiles, I still wasn't sure of the tune, but I could see a crowd gathered at the gates/turnstiles, watching through them. I guessed that they had already swiped their Metrocards and gone through before the dog started performing, but they wanted to watch.

As I exited through a turnstile, I saw what they were watching. Performing dog? Um, well... It was a dog. It was a large German Shepherd with a much higher voice than one would expect for so large a dog.

So I got the dog part right. The reason I couldn't quite make out the tune is because he was a police dog, and he was barking at a suspect the cops had face-down on the ground. Apparently, the song was, "move and I'll bite you."

Others, in my place, might feel stupid. I, on the other hand, will fall back on blaming the overplaying of Christmas songs! Obviously, I've been traumatized, so everything's sounding like Christmas songs!

Okay, okay. So I thought dog barks were singing. At least I didn't think the dog was telling me to do things (an old New York tradition--just ask Son of Sam)! ;)

1 comment:

Joey said...

I had a record of dogs barking Christmas carols as a kid, they have been around at least thirty years.