Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Works like a charm

Did I mention this before? I hope not. Anyhow, I have a tip to share. We're on the "Do Not Call" registry, so that weeds out most of the unwanted phone calls, but we still get calls from charities and such, particularly ones to which we've given money before.

Even if I still support them, I find the unsolicited calls offensive. Also, many of the call centers that charities use take a huge slice of the donations, and why would I want to give in a way that supports more of the same rude calls?

My solution? They don't even get through the initial pitch before I say, "I'm sorry, but I don't give over the phone."

As simple as that seems, it never fails to stop them cold. What are they going to say? I had one of those calls tonight, and, after I said that, the guy was sputtering. He was at an absolute loss for words, so I just said, "goodbye." That was it.

In other news, we had a rugby match this Saturday. Photos should be online soon, and you can count on my sharing them here!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You know what works for me?...

"What are you wearing?"

Works like a charm, especially if I do one of my lip smacking slurpy noises. You know like the one Hannibal Lector does in Silence of the Lambs.
:)
kb