Wednesday, November 02, 2005

Smoke gets in my eyes

I don't know what's burning, but it's something big.

As I exited the subway car at the 14th Street station, I smelled something burning. My first thought was that one of the streetcorner carts that serves hot food must have been somewhat smoky this morning (these things happen) and that the smell had wafted down into the station. It was pretty stinky for one of these carts, but it could be.

Then I came up from underground. As I left the station, I could see that Seventh Avenue was filled with a haze of smoke, as were the cross-streets. So much for the food cart idea. Something large is on fire.

Sitting here typing this, I just heard that it's some cars on top of a parking garage a few blocks away. Just a few cars, they say, but they also said it's a three-alarm fire. Seems like too much smoke for just a few cars.

Anyhow, that's my excitement for the morning!

4 comments:

Matt_Sweet said...

Car fires are ugly. All the oil, gasoline and rubber makes for a very bad smell and a whole lot of smoke. Ugh.

epicurist said...

Maybe it's the new Hummer Fragrance, "Eau de Burnt Rubber".

Wilde said...

I'm sure it'll turn up on the news as a terrorist threat!

Todd HellsKitchen said...

Yeah, this was all over the news... And apparently there are tons of people's cars trapped in there and they can't get them out til the bldg is declared safe...

And YOU WERE THERE!

Cheers,

Mr. H.K.
Postcards from Hell's
Kitchen

And I Quote Blog