Saturday, November 19, 2005

A high-ranking Catholic official and I agree on something?

According to this article, Reverend George Coyne, the Vatican's Chief Astronomer (I didn't even know they had one!) said that "Intelligent Design" isn't science and has no place in a science classroom. This may not be the Catholic Church's official position--in fact, I don't think the Pope has been much help on this issue. Still, it's nice to hear something sensible coming from someone in a position of power in the church.

Actually, I was wondering if my eyes were playing tricks on me when I first saw the article. I had to read it twice to make sure I got it right, but, sure enough, the man said it and makes perfect sense. Obviously, he respects God's place in the universe, but he said, "Intelligent design isn't science even though it pretends to be . . . If you want to teach it in schools, intelligent design should be taught when religion or cultural history is taught, not science."

Well put, Reverend. He added, "If they respect the results of modern science, and indeed the best of modern biblical research, religious believers must move away from the notion of a dictator God or a designer God, a Newtonian God who made the universe as a watch that ticks along regularly."

The article shares Reverend Coynes view of God as an "encouraging parent." "God in his infinite freedom continuously creates a world that reflects that freedom at all levels of the evolutionary process to greater and greater complexity. He is not continually intervening, but rather allows, participates, loves."

I know other religious men who are smart and make sense, but it seems like there are so few these days. It's nice to hear from one more sane voice in this crazy world.

2 comments:

Andy said...

John Paul II was noted for saying that evolution was "more than just a theory." Last summer Cardinal Schoenborn raised a ruckus with his NY Times editorial, but he actually struck a blow for the intellectual integrity of secularism by reminding people that any system which seeks to explain away the role of God in nature is ideology, not science.

Just a guy said...

I went to Catholic school for 12 years... I was taught Creation Theory by nuns in religion class and taught Evolution by nuns in science class. Never were the two actually combined, which I think is a good thing. It is one of the few things I have liked about being a Catholic.

http://ruggerjohnnyd.blogs.com