Thursday, September 09, 2004

Woo hoo!

First, let me say that my good luck with cute medical people continues. Until getting an update from my doctor (and, therefore, lacking medical news), I was considering titling this entry "A Vu to a Thrill".

Why? Well, today, Dr. Vu, a young Asian resident (as in doctor-resident who is Asian, not someone living in Asia), stuck his needle in me. Well, it hurt, as such things can, but his cute face and lovely smile made it all worth it.

Okay, enough of my silliness, let me get to the really important stuff!

Today's visit was for yet another thallium heart scan. Now, I had already had an echocardiogram, a stress test and a thallium heart scan.

I was told that the prior tests showed too little blood flow to part of my heart. Not one of the key parts (in other words, I wasn't in need of immediate surgery or anything like that), but it still wasn't a good thing and might need something done. One possibility was that this was a first indication of coronary artery disease. Another possibility was that I had once had a "silent" heart attack.

Now, my doctor told me not to jump to any conclusions, because we still had to do another test. Also, he reminded me that, aside from being overweight, I had absolutely no risk factors for heart disease. My cholesterol levels have always been excellent, my family history doesn't fit with it, my pressure is good, I don't smoke, etc.

Even so, when they say the test could be wrong (in this case, that what they found could be an "artifact"--in other words, a false reading), I know enough not to bet the ranch on it. I'd rather face the hard facts, if that's what's needed.

So what did today's test show? The problem on the prior test WAS AN ARTIFACT!!! :) The area of my heart where they thought I wasn't getting enough blood, an area that they thought might not be working right, is, in fact, getting all of the blood it needs and is pumping just fine.

They have ruled out my having ever had a heart attack of any type. Also, while they may want to play it safe and do an angiogram (and I understand this, as we want to be as safe as possible and make sure I'm 100% healthy), they're now unsure of whether it's even worth the effort.

I can't begin to say how relieved I am. My heart is healthy and pumping away--in fact, I have reason to believe it's pumping as I type this very entry (such a good heart it is)! :)

Whew!

4 comments:

Michael Vernon said...

GREAT NEWS! So happy to hear the good report.

Wayne said...

YAY~~~ :)

Bruce said...

Artifact?
Medical terminology is almost as nonsensical as musical terms. Or weather, for that matter.
I just love that anomalouos propagation on the VIPIR!

Carrie said...

Glad to hear you have a clean bill of health! It's great that you have a thorough physician who is willing to get to the bottom of things!