Thursday, September 23, 2004

Dances with Wolves Dogs

I was just wondering if I'm the only one who, from time to time, dances with his dogs. It usually starts with one of them standing up on me, paws on my chest. Then I will grab those paws and sing a little song and begin dancing.

I've noticed that dogs have interesting dancing traditions. For example, Bernice, our Doberman-Shepherd mix, likes to bite my hands while we dance. Mandy, on the other hand, will sometimes growl--no doubt, in an effort to harmonize with my off-key singing. :)

I also have adapted certain songs for canine use and re-worded them to fit one or another of the kids. Examples include:

Bernice (who has "Bernel Dog" as one of her nicknames--a longish story)

Love is a Bernel Dog
(to the tune of Pat Benatar's Love is a Battlefield)

Mandy

She's a Retriever
(to the tune of The Monkees' I'm a Believer)

"...then I saw her face,
now she's a retriever,
without a trace
of doubt in my mind..."

Dodger (our newest dog--although he's been here three years)

New Dog Dance
(to the tune of The Pointer Sisters' Neutron Dance)

Let me tell you, when I grab his paws and start dancing him around the living room, singing, "I'm just burning, doing the new dog dance," I can just feel the love oozing out of him. He gets a warm, loving look on his face that says he's trying to decide which is worse, this humiliating dancing and terrible singing or being back on the streets in Brooklyn starved half to death. :)

Our poor pups. They put up with such silliness. I just wonder if other dog owners tend to be as insane as me!

4 comments:

PatCH said...

Oh you're not the only one who dances with his dogs. I dance with mine too. I don't think Greg would appreciate me calling him a dog, but that's another story.

Jess said...

Oh, you're treading on dangerous ground, Mr. PatCHy, you bad boy. :)

Wayne said...

You so need to make a video of the Man/Dog Dancing fest..

Bruce said...

"We are dogs! No one can tell us we're bad! No promises, no rawhides! Love is a scratch behind the ears..."
Sorry, Pat.