Monday, June 23, 2008

Sad news



This morning, it was announced that George Carlin has died of heart failure. I used an older photo of him, since he has had influence over our lives for such a long time. Even if you weren't a fan, did you know that his work led to a major Supreme Court case on the limits of free speech? Those of us who suffered through law school remember the Pacifica case.

Aside from that, he was a smart, funny and, I think, kind man. No, I didn't know him, but from every interview I saw with him and every time I saw him perform, it struck me that real kindness was underlying everything he said.

Also, he brought some real moments of humor and insight to my life and the lives of so many others. Anyone who can bring real humor--and not at the expense of others--makes the world a better place. On a personal level, I remember laughing so hard with him, including the time that my Mom took Marc and me to see him live. Yes, my Mom was a cool person, and she took us to a George Carlin performance. That actually had a few uncomfortable moments for us (although my Mom wasn't phased at all); some jokes just make you squirm when you're sitting next to your mother! Still, we had a great time, and it's a great memory!

We all leave this earth the same way, but it remains sad when we lose one of the good ones. Today we lost one of the good ones. Rest in peace, Mr. Carlin.

No comments: