Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Slime molds

It's stuff like this that almost led me to a career in biology. I'm about two-thirds of the way through Bill Bryson's "A Short History of Nearly Everything", and he just mentioned what are commonly known as slime molds (not to be confused with officials of the NYC Transit Union).

Apparently, in good conditions, slime molds act as single-cell organisms (like an amoeba). When conditions get tougher, the individual organisms draw together and form into a slug. Scientists have no clue how they do it. The slug then finds a suitable spot and grows a plant-like stalk. At the end of the stalk, a pod full of spores grows. This pod eventually opens and spreads the slime mold cells in the wind, so they can find places to flourish.

I find this morphed animal-plant behavior amazing. And how do they know how to make themselves into a slug? It's just amazing!

5 comments:

Greg said...

So that's what happened to the White House!!

PatCH said...

I dated someone like that once.

epicurist said...

What I find so fascinating about life and this world is that we still know so little about this little blue planet. Nothing stops to amaze me.

joey said...

I think I need to clean my shower...

Mark Floyd-Thaut said...

Isn't there a cheese that has mold in it? If you let it sit long enough, will it turn into Slug Cheese?

No wonder I'm not crazy about cheese.