Thursday, February 09, 2006

What a week!

As you know, this week started on an emotionally challenging note. Let me thank everyone who commented and/or e-mailed me. The support is sincerely appreciated!

In addition to that, it has been a bitch of a week. Work has been challenging, to say the least. That happens, and I can deal with it, but then there was some news today.

If you've read this blog for a while, you know that we're associated with the Gotham Knights rugby team. In short, I take photos at the games, and Marc tolerates my doing that. :) Oh yeah, we're also members of the team Armory.

A couple of months ago (give or take), one of the senior members of the team had to be hospitalized. I knew of that. I thought he was recovering. He'd left the hospital, and I thought things were going okay. I thought that until today when news reached me that he has passed away.

I can't claim that he was a close friend. In fact, one of our first encounters was slightly unpleasant. Since that time, a couple of years ago, however, things got better and better. The last conversation I remember having with him was at the Jersey Shore Tournament when he asked me to use the camera to zoom in on a half-naked guy some distance away, so he could get a better look. I happily obliged. I'm glad the last thing I remember is a happy memory.

So let's get back to today's news. Not being a close friend, I'm not even sure of his age. I'd say he was somewhere in his 30s. Whatever his exact age, this certainly is a shock and terrible news.

The wake is this weekend.

Next week can't come soon enough. This one has sucked from the word go.

No comments: