Tuesday, January 03, 2006

Unsafe is still unsafe

People still die from AIDS. I wish all gay men could get that through their heads.

Thankfully, this isn't always the case. Many can live long lives with HIV, medicated and without developing AIDS. I'm thankful for healthy HIV patients I don't know, and I'm personally thankful, because we have many HIV-positive friends.

Yes, one can contract HIV and live with it, but the drugs don't always work. Even when they do, some people have a very hard time with them.

So set aside all of the other diseases one can get from unsafe sex--and there are plenty of nasty ones out there--and stay focused on the one that used to scare the hell out of me back in my dating days.

It's a good thing that there's a generation of young people who don't remember the huge body count HIV racked up years ago, but it seems that many don't get it. If you're wondering what got me started on this subject today, it was the news of yet another AIDS death. No, it wasn't anyone I know. It was just a news story, but, in the words of poet John Dunne, "Ask not for whom the bell tolls. It tolls for thee."

People still die from AIDS. They die at the hospital where I work. They die in AIDS hospices all over the country and all over the world.

I wish I knew how to get the message across.

6 comments:

Will said...

Probem as I see it is that AIDS isn't like trying to avoid the flu or cancer--it has too many overlays of politics to be "just" a disease. I was talking with a 40-something the other day and in response to something I said he replied, "well, you haven't REALLY been fucked in the ass until you've been barebacked."

Yes, it's extremely discouraging.

MzOuiser said...

Spreading information like this helps. There are advantages and disadvantages to not remembering the 80's. Like you, I hope for progress, and better education - and attitudes.

Aethlos said...

it makes me very blue. i can't get my brain around the kids these days, and this explosion of barebacking... what is this all about? when i was a kid we smoked pot, drank beer, and screwed with condoms. now--all the meth and barebacking and insanity. geez i feel old. and i'm a baby.

epicurist said...

Having lived with HIV for 3+ years without medication, I am one of the very few lucky ones who has been termed a Long Term Non-Progressor (LTNP) - only 5% of the infected poplulation. There are so many different variables that make one either more or less susceptible to getting sick with AIDS, and the sad part is we don't know what they are as yet. Doctors tell me they have no idea why I have a viral count of less than 50/mml (without meds), whereas other "normal" healthy HIV patients have viral loads of 15,000+/mml (on meds).

I count my blessings.

It is not some sort of game people. HIV can mean a certain death, and it saddens me to see so many playing this risky game of barebacking. Unfortunately, the misconception is that there is a cure for HIV/AIDS and others believe that if they get infected, medications can control it. That simply isn't the case. You can be resistant to drugs or get secondary illnesses.

I could get into a whole discussion about the subversive culture, Bug Chasing and the retaliation against Taboos, but that would take too long. T. Johnston was correct in shifting some of the blame on media and tv. They sexualise and make it appear as though barebacking and anonymous sex can happen anywhere without consequences. The other major issue is that many people with HIV are taking steroids to keep up weight and the appearance of healthiness, and this has now transferred over into the circuit club and Muscle Boy crowds now. People assume that these guys are healthy because they look so great and don't question the persons STD status. Always, always be in doubt my friends. Don't ever let your guards down.

Thanks for posting this, and sorry for the long comment.

Jess said...

Thanks for the good comments, everyone.

Epi, Don’t be sorry for the long comment. On the contrary, I thought your comment was great. I’d say more, but it’s getting late, and I have to get to bed soon (work night, early commute, etc.). I’m glad your viral load remains so low. I hope it always stays that way!

CoffeeDog said...

Hmm, in response to Will's comment where he quoted someone saying "well, you haven't REALLY been fucked in the ass until you've been barebacked."

I wasn't aware that the ass has so many tactile receptors and can tell when a penis has a rubber on it!

And you post - well said my friend!