Tuesday, July 25, 2006

How nuts am I?

Today, I saw a colleague at work. Seeing him reminds me of something that irritates me, but I think it would be petty to say anything now. Still, it irks me.

So here's the deal. Weeks ago, there was a party for the staff. This colleague paid for it, and several of us management types chipped in and reimbursed him. The initial estimate was $55 each, so I gave him a check for that. When the final bill was tallied, we each had to chip in another $14. So the next chance I got, I gave him a $20 bill. He didn't have $6 change, but he said he'd give it back to me as soon as he could.

Then he apparently forgot about it. I have no doubt that he forgot--it's not like he's trying to make off with six whole dollars!

It's not the $6. If he needed the $6, I'd gladly give it to him. Much more, in fact. I'm not tight-fisted. If anything, I've been told that I tend to be too generous sometimes (if there even is such a thing as "too generous"). It really isn't the $6. It's just that... well...

I don't know. It bothers me. It's like something left undone. Crazy, right?

5 comments:

PatCH said...

Trust me. I know *exactly* what you mean. I've had that happen to me a couple of times at work too. What's up with that? On the other hand, I just remembered the other day that I owed a colleague money, and I was guilty exactly for that very same reason. I apologised profusely and now I'm paranoid that I might have forgotten others.

Yeesh.

Greg said...

Maybe he did just forget. Go ahead and casually remind him.

Scott said...

Hard call. I'd be inclined to remind him because it's likely he did forget because it's only $6. Then again, by reminding him you might look cheap, because it is only $6.

I guess you need to answer this: Will not getting your money back forever taint your impression of him? If so, then remind him. IF you can really let it go, then do so.

El G├╝ero said...

I understand your irritation. It's a small amount of money, but it's the lack of thought on his part that counts. I never, ever forget when I owe someone money, even if it's a tiny amount.

CoffeeDog said...

It's not crazy. I get mad when folks don't send thank you cards, and I'd be miffed if they forgot to give me my change.