Sunday, August 29, 2004

The Constitution and cleaning house

The effort to clean out my Mom's house goes on. Marc and I spent time there this weekend, going through many pieces of family history. I try to look at things dispassionately, because too much thinking about what each thing is (and how each item connects to a piece of my life and/or the lives of my parents and brothers) would just crush me. It's bad enough that Marc had to hold me while I cried for a few minutes tonight.

I don't cry easily, but I've got a lot of pain buried in me. I miss my Mom and Dad. Plus, having lost my Mom and grandmother within 16 days of each other earlier this year was a blow that will take me a long time to put in its place. So sometimes I think too much and the tears come out.

Anyhow, one part of today's cleaning/sorting reminded me of my mother's patriotism. Now, I don't mean patriotism in the mindless "either you're with us or against us" way that so many seem to see it. These people, many of whom I consider to be evidence of the ongoing failures of our educational system, are stupid and ignorant. What's the deal, people? Why can't we understand that we need to pay teachers well, so that you'll attract the best people? Nowadays, there are some (my younger brother leaps to mind) who are very smart and dedicated, teaching kids because they care. Unfortunately, many others who would make fine teachers instead move into more lucrative professions. The result? People who think this is meant to be a Christian country, to the exclusion of other views, and think their way is the only right way.

Anyhow, back to Mom. She was a patriot, in the way that smart, educated people know the word to mean. She believed in equal rights, freedom to express one's opinion (even if--or especially if--it was unpopular), all of the freedoms we're supposed to hold dear, although the current President has made a mockery of our traditions.

Hey, President Dumbass, let's start with a schoolbook of my Mom's that I found from 1947. The Pledge of Allegiance was in it. Guess what! The words "under God" don't appear in it. That's right. Not there! People like you added the words for political reasons in the 1950s. While we're at it, there's a document my mother held dear that you might want to read (at least if and when you decide reading is something you might like to try). My Mom had a calendar put away that may give you a hint...




Yes, the Bill of Rights. If you haven't heard of it, ask your Attorney General. He's been using it for almost four years now to wipe his ass. Assuming we have a new President come January, I will regret that my mother will not be here to see it. I just hope she'll know, wherever she is.

Anyhow, we have been pulling tons of stuff out of the house. There's so much to go through, but we're finally getting near the end of it all. We need to finish soon, so the renovations of the house can begin. One thing that reinforces the reality of my Mom's demise is how the front room of her house looks.

Sadly, I don't have my Mom's ability to maintain a neat house. I try, but I really am way too adept at saving receipts, too slow at throwing out newspapers, etc. Anyhow, my Mom kept a neat home. So there's no way she could still be alive and let me get away with this...




Sorry, Mom, but it's just temporary, as we go through stuff. We'll have it cleaned out soon. Promise!

I even have my best helper with me...




Isn't he cute, all mussed like that? Makes me want to jump him.

Speaking of that, I think I'll end this post. I just thought of something else to do! ;)

4 comments:

Michael Vernon said...

So much passion in this post. And, different kinds of passion! Beautiful.

Jess said...

Thanks, Michael! :)

PatCH said...

*sniff*

*hugs*

*wink*

Carrie said...

I'm so sorry for the loss of your mother. (hugs) I understand what it's like to go through the treasured belongings of those we love...my husband and I had to do such when his grandparents passed away a few years ago. It is an emotional experience.

Way to go on stating patriotism the way it should be! There's so much I could say on that subject, but I don't want to hog your comments.