Friday, December 02, 2005

Holy ship!

Last Friday, our flight into San Diego didn't arrive until almost 11pm, so it was quite late when we got to the hotel. I'd stayed in this hotel years ago, and I've always remembered the wonderful view of San Diego Harbor from the balcony. It's not the finest hotel in town (although not bad), but the view is wonderful.

So I was looking forward to it, and I was pleased when we checked in and learned we were on a high floor. Being on the 12th floor, as I mentioned to Marc, we also wouldn't have to worry about privacy. No one could see in at that height. Sure enough, my first stroll to the balcony that night confirmed my expectations.

When we woke up, the first thing I wanted to do (well, okay, the second thing *wink*) was enjoy our location right by the water's edge. Secure in our lofty privacy, I threw open the curtains and...



Well, so much for no one being able to see in! :) As we learned with each new day, we were right across from the cruise ship terminal. Each morning brought yet another gigantic cruise ship. This one, taken from ground level, is the Dawn Princess...



I got the truck in the shot to give some idea of size, but I was a lot closer to the truck, so the perspective makes the truck look bigger than it really does in relation to the ship. At 77,000 tons, the Princess Dawn was comparable in size to the other ships we saw during our stay but is larger than many warships. Even the Midway, an aircraft carrier built in 1945 that is now berthed in San Diego as a museum, isn't as big. The size is staggering.

6 comments:

Martijn said...

They are like floating apartment buildings, aren't they? We see these boats pass our house during the Cruise Season.

Will said...

Hey, privacy is overrated--you boys could have put on QUITE a show for the the guys up on the ship's bridge and any lucky passengers who happened to be in the bow.

CoffeeDog said...

Cruise ships are so majestic

Anonymous said...

God, did you go showing your brown starfish to the captain of the ship? Two shows nightly? LOL Those damn ships are truly immense like the Empire State on its side. Incredible feat of engineering.
Mwah,
kb

Just a guy said...

Wow... that would be an interesting audience for you morning, ah-hum... wake up ritual.

http://ruggerjohnnyd.blogs.com

Jase said...

Don't tell me you have performance anxiety! ;)