Wednesday, August 31, 2005

The gift I bought for myself

As I recently mentioned, I bought myself a gift. I'd wanted one of these for a long time, but fiscal prudence kept me from buying one. For the past few years, there was always one concern or another that made me hesitate to splurge on myself.

Now, a few months into the new job, with the old house sold and things seemingly stable for the moment, I decided the time was right. So Marc joined me at Tourneau to help me select just the right model, and I got it. I don't have a photo of the actual one, and the dial of mine is a brighter blue than the one in this photo, but this gives you an idea...



If you're not into watches, you probably won't understand why this is a big deal to me. If you are, you'll probably know about Breitling watches. Fine, mechanical watches. Running at 8 vibrations a second, they're very accurate for non-quartz watches. It's self-winding and beautiful. The sweep of the second hand is a work of art in motion. In a quiet room, if you put the watch to your ear, you can hear its gears ticking away.

Every time I look at my wrist, I'm happy to see it there. I waited a long time, and I'm happy that the time has arrived!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Ooh, Breitling. It totally has this manly and adventurous aura. Now you're ready to go fly a plane or something!

Bruce said...

Watches are the only piece of jewelry I will wear. And I like them because they are practical and functional. Looks like you picked out a nice one, Jess! Enjoy.

Bruce said...

... pieceS of jewelry ...

Though I'll only wear one at a time.