Saturday, August 06, 2005

Aimless ramblings

I'm not sure what to blog about. Our friend Scott is here with Jeff. Scott was on Fire Island for the week and stayed here overnight. He's going to go into Manhattan today to see a show.

Work was very busy this week. I'm glad the weekend is here.

On the way home yesterday, I saw a freight train on a siding. There were two LIRR diesel engines on one end, one on the other and 26 freight cars in between (yes, I counted them--I was bored). Two of the cars were flatbeds and were carrying old M-1 LIRR passenger cars. Many of the others were carrying what I believe they call, in the trade, "aggregates". That is, crushed rock of the type they use to lay track beds. Apparently, the LIRR was getting some work done.

Freight trains certainly move around Long Island, but they usually move at night. I don't often see them. I never see the huge ones that I've seen in the Midwest. Some of those are so big you can't even see the end of them. So this was a smaller one, but it was a minute's entertainment for me.

So what else is going on? Not a whole heck of a lot, and that works for me. My finances are starting to stabilize, now that I've been back to work for a couple of months. By "starting to stabilize," I mean that I'm now getting to the point that I feel comfortable enough to start saving for my nephews' college again, putting aside for another family member who is getting up there and may need some help in retirement, giving to charities, etc.

Once we actually sell the other house, so that we're down to just one mortgage, I'll really feel comfortable. I hope that happens soon. We have a buyer, but there are some technical issues we're having to get worked out.

So there you have it. The dull news from around here. There really isn't much to report. I just hope I get to relax this weekend. I need it!

No comments: