Monday, January 12, 2009

Comforting or worrisome?

We're flying to Atlanta on Saturday. It's our annual pilgrimage to help Marc's mother celebrate her birthday. With our trip approaching, I just read this article, Airlines go two years with no fatalities.

It's comforting that air travel is so safe. I've always believed that it's a very safe way to travel, and this reinforces that view. Still, I see a headline like that and the smartass me can't help but think, "so they're due!"

I know it doesn't really work that way. The odds remain very much in the favor of anyone who is flying. That air travel has become this safe is excellent news.

2 comments:

Tuna Girl said...

Oh my gosh. I'm sure you've heard about the crash in the Hudson. I had to come and check what day you were leaving!

Bird strikes are pretty dangerous. My husband had one once when he was piloting a T1 in training.

Jess said...

Oh yeah, we sure heard about it. And yes, bird strikes sure are dangerous. Wild that both engines were taken out. In an AF plane, I guess the engines can be somewhat close together, but that had to be a big flock of birds to get ones sucked into both engines of an A320. It's wonderful that the pilot managed to safely ditch in the water.

Thanks for the concern. We're still home, although my husband isn't too thrilled. I explained that this makes our odds even better, since we're flying out of LaGuardia, too. Two crashes from the same airport one after another? Not a chance! I told him it's like the scene in Garp--LaGuardia has been pre-crashed for us. ;) Seriously, I think a certain someone will be popping some Xanax before our flight!