Thursday, April 24, 2008

A staple remover and a walk down the block

Dodger had his staples removed (from surgery #2) today. The orthopedic surgeon said his patella is now nice and stable, and he thinks Dodger is walking very well, considering the length of time since the surgery.

He said we now can walk Dodger down one block, and then we can work up from there. So when we got home, I took him out of the car and took him for a walk. Just to the end of the block and back, but he was wagging furiously the whole way and sniffing trees, lampposts and the like all the way there and back.

Some of our neighbors were out, and it reminded me of the old days when neighbors would stop and chat with each other. Very nice.

However, tonight, Dodger and Mandy suffered traumatic experiences. Yes, that one thing worse than knee surgery: a bath! Actually, a shower, but the distinction is lost on them. Bernice would have gone in for one, too, but I ran out of dog shampoo. Honestly, that's fine with me. Dodger and Mandy needed it the worst. Besides, I'm exhausted, and washing two of them is plenty of work!

Anyhow, it was a good day. Our boy is really on the road to recovery now!

6 comments:

Bobby D. said...

Glad Dodger got a walk! Baths are bad news for cats, too--but you feel good afterwards!

Go Dodger!

kurt said...

god to hear! give dodger a big hug for me. :)
my boyfriend has two cats. we gave them a bath once and it was a horrible experience.
kurt

kurt said...

*good to hear!
oops.

MzOuiser said...

Yay Dodger! So glad he's back on his paws. Funny though... I thought doggies loved baths? Don't they run in and out of the surf at the beach, and in fountains at the park and stuff?

Cats and water... *shudder*

Jess said...

Thanks, everyone. And Ouiser, no, dogs don't like baths. Yes, they like jumping into lakes or playing in the surf, but they don't like baths. The fact that all of these activities use water doesn't seem to be the deciding factor! :)

A DC said...

Awww! Good for Dodger! I'm glad he's doing so well.

I get exhausted bathing my one and he lays in the tub like it's spa day...I cannot even imagine washing two pups in a row. I get up like an old arthritic lady from leaning over the tub to get to him. Whew!