Wednesday, February 07, 2007

Nice things about the new job

Okay, I won't even start the new job for a few weeks, and I don't want to jinx things. With that said, I already found two things to like.

For one, I won't be taking the train anymore. Tonight, on the way home, I was reminded of the joys of mass transportation. I was sitting near a woman who spent the whole ride talking on her cell phone in Russian. I suppose it would be annoying in English, too, but that just seemed like an added irritant. Aside from that, she apparently had a bit of a cold. Unlike some of the clods out there, she covered her mouth when she sneezed. I'll give her that much. But she turned toward me when she sneezed, instead of away from me. When I noticed her do that, I about blew a gasket. I kept my temper in check, but one more time and she would have gotten a chewing out that would translate to any language.

Another good thing--they want me to come to a conference they're holding. They know I'm still working at the "old" job, so I'm not going for the whole thing. Just one day. Still, it's in Fort Lauderdale. Let's see. The temperature here was 9 degrees this week (and a balmy 18 this morning). The high today in Fort Lauderdale was 79. Yeah, I think I can handle a short trip there.

Actually, the conference is a good opportunity, and the timing couldn't be better. They only do this conference every couple of years, but it draws people from around the company (and this is a multi-state operation). Since I'll be working with many of these people, it's a great chance to meet many of them before we start spending time on conference calls and such.

1 comment:

Big Al said...

Great news! Hope the new job continues to go well once you, uh, start.