Friday, December 22, 2006

Freeze! And drop the Sudafed!

I went back to work today. Probably a mistake. I'm not over this cold (or whatever it is... Typhoid? Yellow Fever? Ebola virus? Bubonic Plague?) yet.

Once I made it to work, I got my morning coffee and then headed over to Duane Reade to buy some supplies. One thing I definitely needed was Sudafed. Not the newfangled, reformulated crap (Sudafed PE or whatever the hell they're calling it). I wanted the same little red pills I've always used as a decongestant.

However, it's not out on the shelves anymore. You have to go to the Pharmacy counter to get it. It doesn't require a prescription, but they practically do a body cavity search before they'll sell it to you.

I was required to produce government-issued ID with my name and address on it (so I showed them my driver's license). Then they had to fill out a form and have me sign it. Lastly, I had to buy it right there, as opposed to taking it to the main checkout counter with the rest of my items when I was done shopping.

Yes, I know. I've read articles about meth labs trying to get as much pseudoephedrine as they can, because it's a component needed to make methamphetamine. Fine. So what's the response?

Once again, a solution has been crafted that will only inconvenience law-abiding citizens. Yes, they're going to track my box of 24 pills to make sure I'm not making crystal meth on the desk in my office. Brilliant! That should cripple the crystal meth industry.

---------------------------

On an unrelated note, we're watching the second disc of season one of Dante's Cove. We'd both forgotten how shitty this show is--I should have removed disc 2 from my Netflix list as soon as we got done watching disc 1. There are pretty boys and some making out, but it's pretty soft core stuff. Once you've gotten past seeing the pretty boys kiss, you're just left with the ridiculous plot and terrible acting. So if you haven't seen it, I really don't recommend that you bother!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's so funny how tastes differ so widely. I was just on a blog that thinks Dante's Cove s the greatest show on television! I hope your meth turns out okay...and that you feel better soon

Jess said...

CD: I'm sure there are plenty of people who like it. I certainly find my views diverging from my fellow citizens rather regularly. Such is life. :)