Tuesday, December 12, 2023

Go ahead and use the money how you want. It's yours now.

I try to be generous. That extends to strangers, when I think I can help out. When I worked in Manhattan, I bought lots of lunches for guys on the street. How can you go wrong feeding someone? 

Well, we're in Savannah, and we recently went shopping at Publix. It was late for food shopping--about 8pm--and the turn lane into the Publix wasn't well lit. But as we approached, I thought I saw someone. Sure enough, as we got close, I saw that it was a man with a little sign, asking for money.

I had a couple of dollar bills in my pocket. I rolled down the window and gave them to him. With that, he thanked me and apparently was done with his work for the evening. He immediately headed across the road. In that dim light, I was worried he'd get hit by a car. There was one coming, but luckily they saw him.

The man was heading into the same parking lot we were. At first, it looked like he was heading for Publix, too, and I said to Marc, if he goes in there, I want to tell him we'll buy him anything he wants. Marc agreed. Really, whatever he could get and bring home wasn't going to bankrupt us and would brighten his life at least for a bit.

So as we were parking we watched him head towards the Publix entrance. And then right past it, to the corner of the shopping center and the liquor store.

Oh well, if that's what he needed, so be it. More importantly, I suppose it got him out of traffic, so he'd live to see another day. It's his life, not mine, and the that little bit of money was his by then anyhow. But I really did love the idea of helping send him home with lots of fresh food. I hope he gets to a better place where that's his priority.

No comments: